Friday, November 8, 2013

The self repairing fuel tank

So, after many thousands of kilometers on the blacktop,  I finally went for a decent 4x4 trip in the "RoK".  A mate in his current model hilux and me in the VW,  we traversed the Rubicon trail out the back of Eildon from the south east through to Kendal's camp ground.  It was a good trip, not hard just a bit slow due to the amount of fallen branches and logs on the ground.  In the photo below, you can see the dead trees remembering that one of the worst bushfires ever ripped through this area two years ago, the tall trees have not recovered.  It gave us mixed emotions as it was sad the trees have died but they looked amazing.

Photo

The toughest spot we came across was a big boghole. The highlux had a few goes at it as did i but after coming home I spotted this.



The fuel tank straps (front and rear) were completely caked in mud and pushing the fuel tank up to a point where I thought it was doomed!


Front Strap

Rear Strap


cleaned out the mud ....


then waited....



all fixed!  Nice! :)  :)  The fuel tank took a couple of hours to relax back into it's normal shape.  Not sure if I took a bad line through the boghole or I was just unlucky to have this happen.

Fuel tank is fixed but the sill, well ... thats a different story :(

 

Missed the door and the flare, my lucky day!

No comments:

Post a Comment